Accell® Advanced Bone Grafting Product
Accell contains natural bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) and growth factors with
demineralized bone matrix (DBM) to accelerate the body’s natural healing response.
Accell features a concentrated form of the same BMPs and growth factors that the
human body produces to form new bone—with nearly five times more BMPs than DBM alone.1
Because Accell contains only human bone and Reverse Phase Medium, a proprietary
carrier, it eliminates the potential for reaction to non-human collagen.
Our proprietary Reverse Phase Medium makes Accell moldable and easy to pack into
any shape defect. It requires no special handling, storage, thawing, mixing or setting.
Accell thickens at body temperature to hold the graft in place and resists irrigation
to allow for better graft containment.
Accell contains BMPs and growth factors with DBM to accelerate the body’s healing
response. In nature, these elements work together as part of the natural bone formation
- Growth factors (TGF-ß and IGF-1) recruit stem cells to the surgical site. TGF-ß
also stimulates the stem cells to replicate, creating the cellular foundation for
- VEG-F stimulates the formation of new blood vessels, increasing blood flow to the
site. BMP-2, BMP-4 and BMP-7 transform stem cells into osteoblasts (bone forming
- FGF and PDGF promote replication of stem cells and osteoblasts. As the osteoblasts
form, they organize themselves to create new bone.
Bone Healing Study3 Results:
Accell vs. First Generation DBM after 4 weeks
Images depict skeletally mature sheep model. Cylindrical 5mm metatarsal defect
created in tibial diaphysis.
Minimal bone regeneration observed at 4 weeks. Healing limited to area adjacent
to host bone.
1st Generation DBM
Bone regeneration occurs throughout the defect, caused by the presence of DBM particles.
The inert carrier has been metabolized. (DynaGraft II®).
More bone formation is evident immediately adjacent to the bone repair surfaces
and within the interior of the defect. Accell delivers naturally-occurring BMPs
and Growth Factors.
Every lot of Accell is sterilized using a low-dose electron beam, a process that
has been shown to preserve the osteoinductive power of BMPs.4
Learn More about E-beam Sterilization
- Amounts of BMP-2, BMP-4, BMP-7 and TGF-ß1 contained in DBM particles and DBM extract. Kay, JF; Khaliq, SK; King, E; Murray,SS; Brochmann, EJl +*ISOTIS ORTHOBIOLOGICS, Irvine, CA , **VA Greater Los Angeles Health Care System (white paper/abstract).
- Lieberman JR, et al. The Role of Growth Factors in the Repair of Bone: Biology and Clinical Applications. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84:1032-1044.
- Effective Design of Bone Graft Materials Using Osteoinductive and Osteoconductive Compnents. Kay, JF; Khaliq; SA, Nguyen, JT. ISOTIS ORTHOBIOLOGICS, Irvine, CA. Presented at: Biomaterials in Regenerative Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, October 16-18, 2004.
- Wientroubs, Reddiah. Influence of irradiation on the osteoinductive potential of demineralized bone matrix. Calif Tissue Int 1988;42:255-60.